Position: Maintenance Manager
Location: Moses Lake, WA
Reports to: Processing Operations Manager
Leading the market with Arctic® branded fruit products that consistently deliver exceptional eating experience to consumers through transparent stakeholder outreach, communication, and innovative science.
Okanagan Specialty Fruits® (OSF) is a vertically integrated company specializing in the development, growing, processing, and marketing of novel tree fruit varieties developed through bioengineering and other molecular tools. Based in Summerland, British Columbia, Canada, OSF was founded in 1996 and acquired by an affiliate of Third Security, LLC in 2020. OSF’s flagship product is its nonbrowning Arctic® apples. Arctic apples provide a sustainable solution to less food waste and improved apple consumption. For consumer information, visit www.arcticapples.com; for company information and partnership opportunities, visit www.okspecialtyfruits.com.
Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc. (OSF) is seeking a dynamic, growth-focused Maintenance Manager that specializes in food processing facility maintenance. This position is responsible for maintaining and repairing all production plant equipment, hydraulic, pneumatic, plumbing, electrical controls, robotics, conveyer systems and baggers. The Maintenance Manager will assist the Operations team to maximize efficiency, improve quality, minimize waste as well as contribute to the development and implementation of a preventative maintenance program. The Maintenance Manager must have the ability to troubleshoot, identify issues, make repairs, anticipate job needs, improve on current processes, and monitor changes to ensure proper operation of all equipment. This position will be a hands-on and oversee Maintenance Technicians and Maintenance Operators.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Analyze mechanical and electrical problems on all equipment and takes corrective action
- Assist Processing Operations Manager, Production Manager, and Quality/Food Safety Manager in creating and continuous refinement of PM (Preventative Maintenance) program and SOP’s (Standard Operating Procedures) for all equipment
- Implement and manage Preventive Maintenance Program
- The creation and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedures and continual safety training for all Mechanics and Operators
- Ensure that technicians are proficient in making necessary corrections and running adjustments to maintain maximum production and quality on all processing/packaging and product handling equipment
- Manage refrigeration systems
- Schedule major maintenance needs in coordination with Production Manager
- Perform or manages preventive maintenance checks and inspections of all equipment, review reports and takes appropriate action
- Manage and maintain spare parts inventory
- Work closely with production staff to ensure safety of all employees and product safety
- Communicate with Production Manager and all necessary parties of recurring equipment malfunctions and corrective actions taken or needed
- Communicate with equipment suppliers/vendors to troubleshoot mechanical issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Instrumentation & Industrial Automation Technology Certification and/or
Manufacturing and Processing Technology Certification preferred
- Minimum of 5 years maintenance experience in a food production/manufacturing environment in a leadership role
DESIRED KEY COMPETENCIES:
- Strong organizational skills
- Possess a self starter attitude
- The ability to work independently to meet deadlines
- Approachable and adaptable
- Demonstrate the highest ethical standards and trustworthiness
- The ability to succeed in a milestone-driven, rapidly changing environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- The ability to work collaboratively and independently on various types of tasks
- The ability to cross-train and maintain knowledge on assigned back-up duties
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- The ability to communicate at all levels of the organization with clarity and precision
- The ability to be proactive and generate new ideas and modified approaches
- The ability to solve problems quickly, think creatively, and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to prioritize tasks and make focused decisions based on business processes and company values
- The ability to supervise, motivate, and effectively lead a team.
- High attention to detail and the ability to work quickly and methodically.
- Strong work ethic
- The ability to work in a safe manner and adhere to all local/state and federal safety guidelines
- The ability to work overtime, nights and/or weekends, as needed.
- The ability to drive forklift-earn and maintain Forklift Certification
- Self-Motivated, Self-Training.
- Food Safety Standard knowledge and audit experience (BRCGS Global Food Safety Standard preferred)
- Proficient with hydraulics/pumps and basic electrical skills essential.
- Proficient with Programmable Logic Controller.
- Proficient with Vertical form, fill and seal bagging machines.
- Proficient with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s) for food production and safety.
- Proficient in reading schematic diagrams and symbols
- Familiarity with Refrigeration and HVAC systems a plus
- Advanced Mechanical Aptitude
- Proven ability to deliver outstanding service